Mixtape Marathon


"In vacant or in pensive mood..." I am: Bekah; 24; Law Student / Favorite Things: Carbs (so there!), Johnny Damon, Smiling at babies, Grilled cheese, Comfortable silence / Favorite Supreme Court Justice: Brennan / Favorite Wilson: Owen by an inch / Today's Special: Song: Elliott Smith, "Bled White"; Quote: "You know, there's like a butt-load of gangs at this school. This one gang kept wanting me to join because I'm pretty good with a bowstaff." Please love me: mmbekah@yahoo.com


February 2003 March 2003 April 2003 May 2003 June 2003 July 2003 August 2003 September 2003 October 2003 November 2003 December 2003 January 2004 February 2004 March 2004 April 2004 May 2004 June 2004 July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 October 2004 November 2004 December 2004 January 2005 September 2005
Saturday, October 30, 2004
 
Halloween: Can't Stop the Music

So, some of my girlfriends and I are going to be the Village People for Halloween. We've got the construction worker, the cowboy, the person of Native American descent, the policeman, the biker, and me, the army guy. Of course, if you know anything about Halloween customs, you realize that we are obviously going to be feminized variations on the original Village People characters. As we all know, there's no better opportunity to wear knee-high boots than Halloween. I'm excited to see all of the other costumes, and I'm really excited to wear mine. It includes: Black boots, khaki skirt, camo shirt, artillery helmet, and a bullet belt. I don't have a weapon, but I'm hoping to scrounge up a water gun. Or maybe I'll just get a hand grenade in the Quarter (of the drinkable variety). Oh, I kid, I kid.

By the way, I hope people know that I'm dressing up as a specific character and not meaning to offend people who are actually serving in the army and don't wear boots with three inch heels regularly. Although I suppose Halloween is a time when all bets are off in terms of being offensive. I've known someone to be a placenta for god's sake.

Note: If you are panicky and confused because you thought that the Village People included a sailor, please see the following excerpt of an email I recently composed:

I know that some of you were very concerned about whether or not there was in fact a sailor in the original Village People. I did some research on the matter and discovered that the army character, one Alexander Briley, was initially in charge of most of the musical arrangements for the People. Later, the group decided that he needed a costume too. So when the group performed "In the Navy" he was a sailor, but he was an army man the rest of the time. And so, my friends, the mystery of the army/navy guy in the Village People is finally solved. Considering that I have a $17 artillery helmet and lots of bullets, I will be sticking with Alexander's army persona for the evening.