Mixtape Marathon


"In vacant or in pensive mood..." I am: Bekah; 24; Law Student / Favorite Things: Carbs (so there!), Johnny Damon, Smiling at babies, Grilled cheese, Comfortable silence / Favorite Supreme Court Justice: Brennan / Favorite Wilson: Owen by an inch / Today's Special: Song: Elliott Smith, "Bled White"; Quote: "You know, there's like a butt-load of gangs at this school. This one gang kept wanting me to join because I'm pretty good with a bowstaff." Please love me: mmbekah@yahoo.com


February 2003 March 2003 April 2003 May 2003 June 2003 July 2003 August 2003 September 2003 October 2003 November 2003 December 2003 January 2004 February 2004 March 2004 April 2004 May 2004 June 2004 July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 October 2004 November 2004 December 2004 January 2005 September 2005
Saturday, October 16, 2004
 
Maternal Moments

There is some sort of baby invasion happening in this coffeehouse right now, and I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed. There's a little indie/hardcore kid with black low-top Chucks holding an adorable baby girl in a pink bonnet. Next to me is a gay couple with their baby, who's just babbling away like a mountain stream. Also, a small angelic girl is running around the place smiling at everyone and saying hello. In an environment like this, my biological clock stops ticking and instead starts pounding in my brain like a sledgehammer.

I'm usually pretty hesitant to concede to things like a maternal instinct (for obvious social and political reasons) but it is hard to deny the feeling I get in my stomach when I see babies now. Also, I saw that cheesy show on ABC where they build new houses for families who are dealing with some sort of tragic circumstance, and at the part where the mom was crying and talking about how her daughter who's allergic to the sun can now live and swim on their property safely I started crying because she loved her daughter so much. As I wiped away the tears, J was looking at me with an expression that can only be described as horror mixed with panic and disgust. He was already disturbed enough by the fact that I was watching this show, but to cry? To cry? It was too much. I don't know. For some reason I am as emotionally manipulatable as a child.

Things to Do Soon:

1. See Team America: World Police.
2. Start/finish outlines.
3. Send in absentee ballot.
4. Decide whether buying a "Fuck Bush" button would be (1) really cool, (2) Too edgy and more than slightly offensive, or (3) Too 70's. Incidentally, I've been wearing several political buttons on my jean jacket lately, and I think I look like my mom must have looked in the 70's. Except my buttons say things like "Kerry/Edwards: Vote Sexy" (over pink silhouettes) and "Mad Cowboy Disease" (over W.'s fat face).
5. Finish Jane Eyre. (I've been "almost done" for about 5 months...)